Stress stinks! It seems as though life moves at the speed of sound and we can't run fast enough. We are pressured to do more, buy more, work more and the only thing left to cut out is sleep. The kids have needs, loved ones are sick, and you want to lose the 20 pounds you put on going through the last crisis. Does any of this sound familiar? We hear about living stress free but it sounds more like a fairy tale than reality. I would love to live stress free but I don't believe it is possible. I do, however, believe we can learn to manage stress and live healthy and happy. Let me share a few tried and true stress busting tips with you.
1. Prioritize, write it down , and schedule it! Fill in a week of your life. List every activity including meals. Get detailed. Doing this will help you identify one of two things, either how much more time you actually have or how little. If you find you don't have enough time, this is definitely an area of stress and it's time to make changes. Now ask God to help you determine what activities you can delegate, what ones you could say no to and then take a deep breath and make the changes necessary to bust some stress.
2. Get enough sleep! Lack of sleep causes stress and stress can cause lack of sleep. It can be a vicious cycle that leads to numerous ailments. Bust it by setting a bed time that allows for 8 hours of sleep. If it takes you awhile to fall asleep, add extra time, try applying Peace and Calming essential oil and dig into an uplifting book, the bible and /or praying. This isn't the time for the intense prayers that will trigger your emotions. Keep it light and positive. If you have insomnia, consult a health care practitioner who will work with you to find the root cause and treat accordingly.
3. Begin and end your day with Prayers of Gratitude! Write down at least 3 things you're thankful for and the say it out loud. Work your way up to 20. There are so many things we take for granted. The other day, I passed a car with a flat tire and I thanked God that I didn't have a flat tire that day. How about running hot water? This is a sure fire way to bust stress! Studies have shown that people who practice gratitude reduce their stress levels significantly.
4. Exercise! You have to make the time! You'll lose weight, have a greater sense of well being, you'll bust that stress and sleep better.Incorporate outdoor activities into your routine to get the added benefits of fresh air and vitamin D.
5. Eat Healthy! Proper nourishment busts stress at its core. Eliminate processed food and drink all together. They contain many harmful chemicals that reduce our ability to combat stress and are also a great source of stress on your body, mind and spirit.
Follow these 5 steps and you'll be on your way to a happier healthier you.
You're worth it!